This page features the non-academic activities and publications I have been engaged with. I could have termed it as public engagement, impact, beyond the ivory tower etc. but they all feel too institutionalised – so public geographies it is.
See more on my CV.
- Public Seminars Organised
- Public Talks
- Media – Written Contributions
- Media – Featured Research
- Schools Outreach
- 2015 – present. Advised and helped to launch a run-commuting scheme at the University of Manchester.
- 2014 – present. Greater London National Park*. I was involved in the establishing the initial campaign for a Greater London National Park*, a proposal to make London the world’s first urban national park that encompasses an entire city.
Public Seminars Organised
- 2015 Running Dialogues
Organised by Simon Cook, Katy Kennedy and Vybarr Cregan-Reid.
• 13 April. Running & Society
• 11 May. Technologies of Running
• 08 June. Experiences of Running
• 29 June. Running, Space & Place
Speakers: Jacquelyn Allen-Collinson, Penny Andrews, Kate Carter, Simon Cook, Vybarr Cregan-Reid, Steve Dews, Simon Freeman, Simone Fullagar, Ivo Gormley, Rachel Hallett, John Hockey, Toby Jenkins, Katy Kennedy, Alan Latham, Jo Little, Hayden Lorimer, Chris Mallender, David McGookin, Stephanie Merchant, Clive Sanders, Richard Shipway, Kai Syng Tan, Boff Whalley.
- Cook, S. (2015) The potential of run-commuting. Presented at the Running Dialogues Seminar Series, Roxy Bar & Screen, London on 13 April.
Media – Written Contributions
- Cook, S. (2015) Why Is London Trailblazing The Run-Commute? Written for Runner’s Guide to London website. Published 09 March 2015.
- Cook, S. (2014) Outdoor Activities pages written for the Greater London National Park* website. Published 01 April 2014.
Media – Featured Research
- 01/07/2015 Run-commuting research featured by The Coca-Cola Company
- 25/06/2015 Run-commuting research featured by Unbound Life: Make/Fit/Happen
- 25/05/2015 Run-commuting research featured in Runner’s Blueprint: The Ultimate Guide to Running
- 01/05/2015 Run-commuting research featured in May 2015 issue of Runner’s World Magazine
- 16/04/2015 Run-commuting research featured by iamrunbox
- 09/01/2015 Run-commuting research featured by Athletics Weekly
- 08/01/2015 Run-commuting research featured in Running the Line
- 05/01/2015 Run-commuting research featured by the Institute of Leadership & Management
- 19/12/2014 Run-Commuting survey and interview features by Financial Times
- 19/12/2014 Run-commuting research featured by Gestión Newspaper
- 04/12/2015 Run-commuting research featured by Fitness for Cakes
- 01/12/2014 Run-commuting research featured by Active Commuting
- 25/11/2014 Run-commuting research featured by Xcite Digital
- 25/11/2014 Run-commuting survey and researched featured by JMP Consultants Ltd
- 10/11/2014 Run-commuting survey and interview featured by The Telegraph
- 04/11/2014 Run-commuting survey featured by Runner’s World UK
- 04/11/2014 Interview with The Telegraph about my research into run-commuting
- 24/10/2014 Run-commuting survey featured by Get Active London
- 15/10/2014 Run-commuting survey featured by Run England
- 10/10/2014 Run-commuting survey featured by Workplace Challenge
- 09/10/2014 Run-commuting survey featured by ESRC Social Science News
- 08/10/2014 Run-commuting survey featured by Run247 News
- 07/10/2014 Run-commuting survey featured by Men’s Running UK
- 07/10/2014 Press Release about Run-Commuting survey featured on run2work
- 02/10/2014 – 09/10/2014 Research featured by run2work group’s social media feeds
- 29/07/2014 Interview with Runners World USA about my research into run-commuting
- 26/02/2014 Midweek #ukrunchat Twitter Discussion. Co-host
- 01/03/2014 Lost and Found: Treasure Hunt and Quiz about the geographies of children’s stories, Royal Holloway, University of London (organised as part of the Royal Holloway Science Festival 2014 and The Guerrilla Geography Project 2014: Misplaced)
- 01/03/2014 The Geography of Disney [poster], Royal Holloway, University of London (organised as part of the Royal Holloway Science Festival 2014)
PassengerFilms, the car-crash of cinema and geography, is the award-winning, not-for-profit film society, founded and run by PhD students from Royal Holloway, University of London. We bring hot topics from cultural geography to London’s film-going public.
Below are the screenings I have been involved with organising, compèring or presenting in:
- 23/06/2015 Materials of Madness, Jetlag Bar, London
- 02/04/2015 Bordering Strangeness, Jetlag Bar, London.
- 05/03/2015 Creating Hackney as Home, The Russett Arms, London.
- 20/01/2015 The Art of Skating, Jetlag Bar, London.
- 24/02/2014 StoryWorlds: Creating Worlds in Children’s Stories, Royal Holloway, University of London (organised as part of the Royal Holloway Science Festival 2014). Organiser and compère.